Monday, February 13, 2012

Napa

Bill and I got to escape to Napa Valley for 3 nights last weekend with 2 other couples. I had so much anxiety about leaving Sam for the first time, I don't think I was really even excited about it until we actually landed in Sacramento. My mom came up to my house and stayed with Sam all weekend, and he did just fine. I finally did relax and start to enjoy myself after talking with her just after we got to our hotel.

The weather was great, not quite warm, but sunny and clear. The landscape was beautiful - rolling hills, huge old oak and walnut trees, vineyards as far as the eye can see. Ah...now I am really missing it! The weekend was pretty much all about wine and food. We had a great hotel with a yummy breakfast buffet; after breakfast we would go sit by the open air fire pit and sip our coffee, then hop in the car and start visiting wineries. I really don't know much about wine (just what I like and what I don't like) but I think we tasted some pretty darn good wines. We had some great meals too. We tried to get into Bottega but it was a busy Fri night and we didn't have reservations. We did catch a glimpse of Mike Chiarello though. That was as close to a 'celebrity' siting as we got - our friends went last year and saw Robin Williams at this place. We had dessert there but again no celebrity sitings. :)

These pictures really don't do the trip any justice. I wish I a) had a nice camera and b) knew how to use it. Alas, the iPhone pics will have to do. All in all, a great trip. And I'm glad it was because it may be the last one we can afford for a while. That will be the topic of my next post....


A quick stop for IN-N-OUT burgers on the way to Napa.





Tour of Stag's Leap - there is a cool story behind this winery, one of the first in Napa. The movie "Bottle Shock" was indirectly about Stag's Leap.





Table-side S'mores!




Coffee by the pool.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely lovely! I'm so glad you had a little getaway! Yay for grandma's!!! I've never been to Stag's Leap and always wanted to go! We had such a boring weekend last weekend...I would've roadtripped up to see you guys! I kid...I wouldn't want to rain on your parade, but still. I'd love to see you!

    Hope everything is ok...You got me a little concerned with your "last one for awhile comment". Always know there is free lodging at Casa de Luna in case another adventure is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you went to Napa! What a great place to visit (and drink)! Glad you enjoyed your "Adult Weekend". How did you do without Sam? Sounds like he had fun with Grandma. Gotta love the g-parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that trip does sound really relaxing and fun! So glad you were able to enjoy this vacation -and that Sam enjoyed every minute with his grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling over those in n' out burgers!! I'm so glad you got away for a few days (just sad I missed you while I was in WA!!). Its always hard to leave the kiddos the first time but I'm so so glad you had a nice vacation, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete