Thursday, May 19, 2011

What do you do with a baby all day?

Ummm... I'm kind of embarassed to ask, but seriously. These weeks with Bill working 7 days in a row are going to be looong. Sam's not much for napping in his bassinet or crib. He will sleep if I have him in the carrier or if I'm out running errands, in his carseat/stroller. But I can only run so many errands! I've been driving all over the place since I have no friends/family in my neighborhood and the gas bill is adding up. The chores are also stacking up because there's only so much I can do with Sam in the Baby Bjorn. I'm sure he'll grow out of this soon and hopefully nap lying down but in the meantime, the house is a mess (oh and I kind of am too). At least the weather is gorgeous this week so we can get in some good long walks with the dog.

Oh, and Sam is 8 weeks old today! (Will snap a pic later)

3 comments:

  1. Good question. I'm looking forward to the comments! Is it too early to stick them in front of the TV? I kid, I kid.
    Happy 8 weeks to Sam, and to you! You've done it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 8 weeks!

    I used to ask this same question to myself all the time. Sometimes I'd call Tony at work and ask him! Then, I remember getting really psyched up about being a "good mom" so I'd put a blanket in the yard and take toys, books, flash cards etc. Oliver didn't even know what was going on. He was totally unresponsive to that! I'm a dork.

    It is totally hard to find a routine that's good for BOTH of you when napping isn't occurring. Oliver didn't nap until he was 5 months old, and I remember doing really random things to fill the time during those few 5 months. It's hard because between nursings you WANT to do something. But what?

    Are there any mom's groups that meet during the week that you can keep Sam with you (as opposed to putting him in daycare)? I used to really look forward to MOPS once a week. We'd go meet Tony for lunch once a week (still do that), errands one day, beach, etc. We spent a lot of time at the beach walking in the early days. Even just walking outside since it seemed to keep baby quiet and content!

    I'm sorry I don't have any good answers for you since I'm not sure I ever figured that out myself! But I can encourage you that it'll get so much better and a lot more fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Sam nap in the swing? A routine is coming, hang in there! I used to put these "praise baby" movies on for B, they last about 30 min and she LOVED them! They enabled me to take a shower, etc.. Worth a try! xo

    ReplyDelete