Saturday, October 16, 2010

Keeping the Faith?

Several recent blog posts by friends and strangers have got me thinking more about religion, denomination and church attendance. Not to mention the fact that I want my child(ren) to know who Jesus is and how much He loves them, except that I really have no clue what type of church environment we will choose... seeing as how we haven't gone to church in years, really (Heidi posed a question about this the other day). Bill and I have some soul searching to do.

It's been easy to put off, with Bill's random work schedule and our location - the church I've felt closest to calling 'home' is in North Seattle which isn't too far of a drive, but to get involved would require more frequent trips and I'm pretty burnt out on driving to be honest. Plus, I sometimes feel like I'm in a Christian bubble at work--which has positives and negatives--and that, along with Bible study has provided a certain level of spiritual nourishment. All really lame excuses, right? I think the time is ripe to put some more serious thought and prayer into this. I want our baby to baptized (or maybe, dedicated - that's a whole other conversation), which adds a bit more urgency to coming to some sort of decision. I think I'm dealing with a bit of what this guy expresses, which is decision based on what a church is not, or rather indecision being easy to prolong for the same reasons.

Bill is definitely leaning towards returning to the Catholic church. There are many things I appreciate and respect about Catholicism - it provided the foundation for my beliefs and understanding of Christ, I'm just not sure it's 'me' anymore. Then again I've always said that as long as the doctrine teaches the basics about Jesus, the rest is non-essential and therefore not worth fighting over. If that holds true, I could be happy in most Christian churches. What I could really do without is the judgement every denomination seems to have (or at least some of the people within them) about what makes someone a 'real Christian'.

I know this is rambling on... just had to pour out some initial thoughts on this. Would appreciate your thoughts too.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you. We've been struggling with that ever since we moved to the NW and haven't been able to find a church home like what we had in DC. For us, church is not just a place we go to on Sunday - it's community, it's service, it's friends/family, it's social activism... But sadly, the place we go to on Sun is what it has become. We're debating on starting the 'church shopping' again now that we have LA. If nothing else, having a child is good motivation to get back on the search train. I really hope you guys find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thoughts, not sure they are going to be super coherent in this little box though. Church hunting/shopping/whathaveyou is just plain hard, period. Finding where you feel "home" can be a really frustrating search, but I do think its a search worth taking on. Our transition into TX life has only been great b/c of church, finding a community to "do life with" makes all the difference, that I know for sure. I know a long commute can be draining, and I do hope you guys can find something closer to home, but if that church is in fact home, then maybe worth it? Don't give up my friend. As far as baptism vs dedication, yeah a whole other topic indeed. :) I love you and will pray you and Bill can find a church home that fits you both, it is so so important. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only agree with Mel and Molly. Finding your home church is so important. I didn't go to church regularly for a looong while but now that I have found my church, I miss it when I don't go. I love it for the messages of social justice, and really wish they had a stronger sense of community -small groups, etc.

    As for denominations... It's a tough one if denominations are important to you -which you say is actually not that important. I am catholic and really needed to find a church that was liberal. I went to various protestant churches and never really felt home. If you feel that your church in N Seattle is home, then it might be worth traveling there -plus if you go with Bill and Baberty, then the trip won't be that long :) If Bill wants to go to a catholic church, make sure that you like the homily and the priests there (and the music. Oh my, catholic church can be sooo boring without good music!). Good luck finding that one church that will make you 3 happy.

    And thanks for this post. It's intelligent and challenging. Keep 'em coming please!

    ReplyDelete